We require all applications to be submitted online. Fiscal year 2014 began July 1, 2013 and continues through June 30, 2014.
Applications are now being accepted for the Northwestern Mutual Milwaukee Neighborhood Scholarship, available to first generation college students with a permanent residence in the Milwaukee zip codes including 53206 (Amani), 53210 (Metcalfe Park) and 53204 (Muskego Way).
The scholarship is open to students intending to enroll in full time undergraduate study at one of the following accredited four year colleges or universities for the entire 2014-2015 academic year:
- Alverno College
- Cardinal Stritch University
- Carroll University
- Marquette University
- Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
- Milwaukee School of Engineering
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Mount Mary University
Scholarship applications will be judged by Scholarship Management Services, a division of Scholarship America, on the following criteria:
- academic performance
- demonstrated leadership
- participation in school and community activities
- work experience
- an essay on how one might make a positive impact in his/her neighborhood and/or Milwaukee
- unusual personal or family circumstances
- an outside appraisal
Learn more and/or download an application.
The deadline is May 30, 2014.
For fiscal year 2014, we will be accepting funding requests via a two-stage application process. These grants are limited to programs and projects in Milwaukee, WI. There are no open national application opportunities for funding.
The first stage is to submit an online Letter of Inquiry (LOI), designed to give us a basic overview of the project for which you are seeking funding. The LOI should demonstrate how your organization will deliver maximum impact through sustainable change in our specific focus areas.
The deadline to submit your online Letter of Inquiry (LOI) is October 1, 2013.
Once submitted, the online LOI will be reviewed by a program officer. Select nonprofit partners will be asked to return to the online system at a later date to submit a full proposal.
Grant determinations are typically announced three to four months after the full proposal has been received.
For fiscal year 2014, the Northwestern Mutual Foundation is funding events on an invitation-only basis. Organizations we intend to support this fiscal year have been sent the appropriate link. Questions about our event sponsorship process can be submitted through the Contact Us link (found in the upper right hand corner on your account page).
Access your account to do any of the following:
- Return to an application you have saved but not submitted
- Access record of your previous submissions
- Access requirement forms
- Contact us with any questions
- Metcalfe Park
- Muskego Way
See our Neighborhood Map for locations and parameters of these neighborhoods.
Making Milwaukee Great
Childhood Cancer Program
- We partner with Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation and Starlight Children’s Foundation.
- Consequently, we are not accepting applications for this focus area at this time.
To be eligible for funding, an organization is required:
- To be a qualified 501(c)(3) organization with a valid IRS tax ID number.
- To be a U.S.-based organization.
- To be located in and/or serving clients in Milwaukee, WI.
We do not fund:
- Organizations that are not tax-exempt under paragraph 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service code.
- Individuals for any purpose.
- Nonprofit organizations located outside of the U.S. or that primarily serve clients located outside of the U.S.
- Grants that would represent more than 10% of a nonprofit organization’s annual operating budget.
- Endowment, debt-reduction or debt-retirement campaigns.
- Capital campaigns unless invited to apply by Foundation leadership based on alignment with strategic philanthropic interests and priorities.
- Groups or organizations that will re-grant Foundation support to other organizations or individuals (except for those approved on an exception only basis).
- Schools or community athletic events or teams, bands or choirs (including requests for equipment, uniforms, travel and any requests for in-kind donations to support special events).
- Labor, religious or fraternal groups that do not provide services to the community at large.
The Foundation’s deadline for fiscal year 2014 is October 1, 2013. If the deadline is missed, an organization will have to wait until the next fiscal year to submit an application. Grant determinations are typically announced three to four months after the deadline closes.
Questions? Please reference our FAQs.