MILWAUKEE (BUSINESS WIRE), May 04, 2011 - Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John Schlifske and Steve Forbes, chairman and editor in chief of Forbes Media, will speak to more than 4,000 business and community leaders in seven cities around the U.S. this week.
John E. Schlifske is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Northwestern Mutual. (Photo: Business Wire)
The executives will discuss their thoughts on the economy, the markets, and how individuals and business owners can ensure financial security in the new normal. As part of an ongoing partnership, Northwestern Mutual – a leading financial security company – and Forbes have joined together to visit cities throughout the country to host similar discussions.
The tour – titled, “Econo-ME: Ensuring Your Financial Security in the New Normal” – visits the following cities, including:
- May 4: Miami and Palm Beach, Fla.
- May 5: Washington, D.C., Hartford, Conn., and Raleigh, N.C.
- May 6: Charlotte, N.C., and Milwaukee, Wis.
“We are at a unique time in history, when many of the financial challenges that individuals face have a direct parallel to the challenges the nation faces,” said Schlifske. “By offering individuals and business leaders Northwestern Mutual’s perspective on how to best maintain financial security, alongside an innovative thought leader such as Steve Forbes, we are hopeful that we can help individuals make decisions that will lead to financial success.”
Among the key insights and topics Schlifske and Forbes are expected to share:
- Managing risk is the cornerstone of financial security for individuals and families in today’s economy. According to Schlifske, a foundation of risk management is the key to protecting yourself and those you care about against the financial challenges that occur when people live too long, die too soon or become sick or injured.
- Unforeseen threats will continue to affect our national economy. Natural disasters such as the earthquake in Japan or Middle East unrest impact today’s consumers. However, Schlifske and Forbes agree that our nation’s economy will continue to overcome these obstacles in the long-term based on our markets and infrastructure.
- The fundamentals of financial security to build wealth include long-term savings. Forbes recommends that consumers stick with the basics such as putting money away week after week and working with a trusted advisor on a holistic plan.
“In the post-recession economy, there remains much uncertainty about how to best position ourselves for long-term financial security,” said Forbes. “I look forward to joining John Schlifske and discussing the opportunities, challenges and decisions that we face as individuals and a nation, to help people throughout the country succeed in the new normal.”
About Northwestern Mutual
The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company – Milwaukee, WI (Northwestern Mutual), the “World’s Most Admired” life insurance company in 2011 according to FORTUNE® magazine, has helped clients achieve financial security for more than 150 years. As a mutual company with $1.2 trillion of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual has no shareholders. The company focuses solely and directly on its clients and seeks to deliver consistent and dependable value to them over time. Northwestern Mutual and its subsidiaries offer a holistic approach to financial security solutions including: life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability insurance, annuities, investment products, and advisory products and services. Subsidiaries include Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC, broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company, limited purpose federal savings bank; and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company; and Russell Investments.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6706061&lang=en