Across the country and close to home, we’re improving education, revitalizing neighborhoods, spotlighting destinations and accelerating the search for cures for childhood cancer for thousands of people every day.
Helping Students Succeed
We support education today, for the leaders of tomorrow. Efforts include:
- Early Literacy Spells Success. Students who are not proficient readers by third grade are four times more likely to leave school before graduating than proficient readers. That’s why we support programming that builds fundamental literacy skills with students from pre-school to third grade. We’ve partnered with Metcalfe School, Gwen T. Jackson Elementary School, Bruce–Guadalupe Community School and Milwaukee Preparatory School in Milwaukee to build basic reading skills from preschool to third grade. Read More.
- Higher Education. Through scholarships and mentor programs for first-generation college students, we’re empowering students to achieve their potential and reach their educational goals.See how we’re turning college dreams into a reality
We support collaborative education efforts and awarded $420,000 in grants this year, including Milwaukee Succeeds, Milwaukee Public Schools, Teach for America, Schools that Can Milwaukee, and City Year Milwaukee. Learn how we're developing lifelong learners.
Building Stronger Neighborhoods
Improving the quality of life for Milwaukee residents of all ages encourages positive change throughout the community. Together with other organizations we’re enhancing communities. And we’ve given more than $1 million in grants to nonprofits in Milwaukee’s Amani, Metcalfe Park and Muskego Way neighborhoods.
- Safe Neighborhoods. Learn how outreach by Northwestern Mutual is working to create welcoming, safe and healthy neighborhoods for more than 70,000 residents in three Milwaukee neighborhoods. Learn more about our support in local neighborhoods.
- Summer Meals Program. Our partnership with Hunger Task Force brings food to the Amani neighborhood, which lacks grocery stores. We provide meals to area residents at several locations in this neighborhood.
- United Community Center. We’re a proud partner of the United Community Center which serves Latino families of Milwaukee’s Southside, including residents of Muskego Way.
Making Milwaukee Great
We’re committed to enhancing our hometown by ensuring it is an inviting and attractive place to live and work.
- MAM After Dark. We’ve been a 5-year sponsor of The Milwaukee Art Museum's MAM After Dark, which gives guests the opportunity to explore their community and experience art in a unique way after-hours at the museum.
- Northwestern Mutual Family Farm. The Northwestern Mutual Family Farm at the Milwaukee County Zoo allows children to be up close with animals. Recent grants have helped to renovate the farm’s main entrance, the raptor building and the Munchkin Dairy Farm.
- Record Setting UPAF Campaign. Northwestern Mutual is a long-time supporter of the United Performing Arts Fund (UPAF) – which helps fund 32 member organizations across Southeastern Wisconsin. This year, we raised $1.6 million, a record for the single-highest combined corporate donation. We’ve been recognized with the Best Businesses Partnering with the Arts in America for our contributions, vision, leadership and commitment to developing alliances with the arts. Americans for the Arts – BCA 10’s Hall of Fame Recognized Northwestern Mutual as the largest corporate contributor to the arts in the state of Wisconsin.
- United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County. We’ve been supporting the United Way for more than 100 years. In the last five years, Northwestern Mutual has given $19.8 million to United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County.
- Betty Brinn Children's Museum. We are proud sponsors of Word Headquarters, a new interactive and engaging literacy exhibit at Betty Brinn Children's Museum. Learn more about our support of programs that drive children's literacy and more.
Meeting Urgent Needs
We fund critical response efforts, and support the work of the American Red Cross, which brings food, shelter, relief supplies, health and emotional support and other critical services to nearly 70,000 disasters in the U.S. annually. In fact, we’ve given $3 million in grants to the American Red Cross since 1987.