Northwestern Mutual
< Back to Insights & Ideas

Ask the Retirement Expert: Can I Claim Social Security or Medicare if I Live Outside the U.S.?

Angela DiCastri, MBA, CLU® •  April 15, 2016 | Enjoying Retirement, Ask the Expert

By Angela DiCastri, MBA, CLU®

Angela is the Director, Retirement Market, Planning and Sales. Under her leadership, the department is responsible for the growth and development of the retirement market, sales and adoption strategies, and the execution of plans that align with both the markets needs and the Company’s product development efforts.

Each week our Northwestern Mutual retirement experts answer your questions. This week’s question:

Can I claim Social Security or Medicare if I live outside the U.S.?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can live in most foreign countries without it affecting your Social Security benefits. However, there are certain countries where the government is unable to send payments. For more information and a list of such countries, click here.

Medicare will cover medical costs incurred in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa. Any medical costs incurred in other locations will not be covered by Medicare, with a few rare exceptions. Click here for more information.

Do you have a question for our Northwestern Mutual retirement experts? Click here to send your questions.

Rate This Article