Northwestern Mutual's Internship Program Ranked Among the Top 10 Nationwide for the 18th Straight Year
MILWAUKEE, Nov. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Northwestern Mutual's financial representative internship program has been recognized for the 18th consecutive year as one of the top ten programs nationwide in the recently released 2014 Vault Guide to Internships. The company ranked #6 on the list and #2 in the banking/finance category.
"Our internship program has been a source of pride for a long time, and we are excited to once again be recognized by the Vault Guide," said Michael Van Grinsven, Northwestern Mutual field internship director. "Our program is incredibly important for attracting top talent year over year, and we are happy that it remains a valuable experience for our interns."
Vault.com provides in-depth intelligence on what it's really like to work in an industry, company, or profession. Vault's editors surveyed thousands of current and former interns and evaluated hundreds of internship programs to select the ten programs they feel provide the best all-around experience. Many factors are considered, including: mentorship availability, career advancement opportunities, intern involvement/capacity for learning, compensation, industry clout and work culture.
Van Grinsven added that, in the last eight years, Northwestern Mutual has seen significant growth from 1,000 to more than 3,400 interns recruited annually.
"Working at Northwestern Mutual has been a tremendous growth experience for me," added Ethan Ruesink, a former intern and full-time financial representative for Northwestern Mutual. "Beyond the training and mentoring, both of which have been extremely valuable, I received an opportunity to work as part of an organization and a team that made a substantial, positive impact on people's lives—financial and otherwise."
Northwestern Mutual treats their internships as a year-round program - one that doesn't stop when participants head back to school. Sixty percent of Northwestern Mutual interns are integrated into their teams for the full year, allowing for a greater depth of both training and mentoring, and building experience beyond the summer months. Of these full-year interns, one third goes on to become full-time employees.
The Northwestern Mutual internship program was launched in 1967, and offers both hands-on training and real-life experience. Many of the company's most successful financial representatives and nearly half of its senior field management are former interns.
Watch Videos About Northwestern Mutual Careers on YouTube
- A Day in the Life: A Financial Representative Intern
- A Day in the Life: A Recent College Graduate Joining Northwestern Mutual
- Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Northwestern Mutual's Winter Camp for Interns
Company Receives Numerous Honors
Northwestern Mutual received numerous honors in 2013, including being named one of the "World's Most Admired" life insurance companies by FORTUNE® magazine.
The company also received the following recognitions:
- Recognized in Training Magazine's "Training Top 125" as having one of the best training and development programs in the country. (February 2013)
- Awarded highest financial strength ratings to any life insurer by all four of the major credit rating agencies: A.M. Best Company, A++ (highest) April 2013; Fitch Ratings, AAA (highest), August 2013; Moody's Investors Service Aaa (highest), July 2013; and Standard & Poor's AA+ (second highest), June 2013.
- Named a "Best Place to Work in 2013" and a recipient of the Employees' Choice Award by Glassdoor.com. (December 2012)
- Recognized as a top 10 biggest independent broker-dealer, as measured by total annual revenues, in leading investment industry publications Investment Advisor magazine (June 2013), Financial Planning magazine (June 2013) and Financial Advisor magazine. (April 2013)
- Ranked first in the insurance industry and 11th overall among service companies in Selling Power Magazine's annual "50 Best Companies to Sell For Now" list. (Oct/Nov/Dec 2013)
About Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual is among the "World's Most Admired" life insurance companies in 2013 according to FORTUNE® magazine and has helped clients achieve financial security for more than 156 years. As a mutual company with $1.4 trillion of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual has no shareholders. The company focuses solely and directly on its clients and seeks to deliver consistent and dependable value to them over time.
Northwestern Mutual is the marketing name for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Milwaukee, WI, and its subsidiaries. Northwestern Mutual and its subsidiaries offer a holistic approach to financial security solutions including: life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability income insurance, annuities, investment products, and advisory products and services. Subsidiaries include Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC, broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company, limited purpose federal savings bank; Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company; and Russell Investments.
SOURCE Northwestern Mutual
Jean Towell, 1-800-323-7033, firstname.lastname@example.org
11/12/2013 9:16:00 AM